Get the Past Off Your Plate
Drugs & Alcohol
Kids & Parents
Relationships Shopping Corner
If you find yourself losing weight, then gaining it all back, you probably have a plate crowded with events and experiences from the past that continue to interfere with how you feel about yourself today. Loss that you may not even have recognized can give birth to feelings that do not go away without special attention.
Those core feelings continue to churn beneath the surface, and when activated today by something that triggers the feeling, you experience a double-whammy. The flooding of feelings is intense because you are reacting not just to what is happening today, but re-experiencing the feelings of your original loss. Over the years, it has become an automatic response to get out of that painful feeling as soon as possible -- thus setting up food as a way to medicate, numb out, express anger, get power or comfort.
1. Death, physical, sexual and emotional abuse, trauma
5. Loss of a dream
6. Financial loss
7. Loss of a normal, healthy childhood because you grew up in a home with a parent who was a substance abuser, was emotionally unstable or unavailable to you because of work or abandonment.
8. Illness or accident
9. Attention Deficit Disorder, Learning Disabilities, etc.
10. Living in a fishbowl, where you felt extremely high expectations were upon you because of your parent's community position (pastors, therapists, politicians, actors, doctors, etc.)
13. Being bullied, teased
14. Perceiving yourself as being ugly or unacceptable because of your weight
*The above list is an excerpt from Body
Sense Balancing Your Weight and Emotions.
What other losses have
you had that you may not have considered linked to your food use before? If
you don't think you can relate to any of the above losses, yet soon begin
feel a need to have food, think again. This could be very important to you,
not only as it relate to food but also to your sense of joy and freedom in
*For a complete list, along with techniques to let go of
past pain, see Chapter 7, Owning Your
Hidden Losses in Body Sense
Balancing Your Weight and Emotions. And don't forget our online
course to finally, let go of your past pain.
Brenda Crawford-Clark, LMHC, LMFT, NCC
Author: Body Sense Balancing Your Weight and Emotions
©Copyright 2001 Brenda Crawford-Clark